Behavioural Safety Programme
The implementation of H&S in its entirety, in a corporate organization is an outcome of the “positive safety culture” that extends throughout the organization and its operations and activities.
Health & Safety Positive Culture exists when behaviours are accompanied with the following conditions:
- H&S is regarded by Everyone as a “value” not just as a “priority”
- Everyone assumes responsibility of the H&S not just for themselves but for others too
- Everyone is willing and able to act with the sense of responsibility regarding H&S, going further than just the fulfilment of obligations
Although difficult to depict with mathematical precision, it is established that 80% to 95% of occupational accidents result from unsafe behaviours.
The Behavioural Safety Program (BSP) by Biosafety
Biosafety has developed and implements a Behavioural Safety Program that can support any corporate organization, enhancing its effort to develop a positive H&S culture, decrease dangerous behaviours and eliminate occupational accidents.
Unsafe behaviours lead to near misses, that in turn lead to lost time incidents, LTIs. Consequence of LTIs are serious accidents and at the top of the consequence pyramid, fatalities.
In the Behavioural Safety Program (BSP) behaviour is described by the approach of the ABC model (Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequence).
Focusing attention on dangerous behaviours provides a big chance of preventing accidents for two reasons:
- Accidents are the final result of a series of successive events that are combinations of causes and result, deriving from peoples’ unsafe actions and choices.
- Dangerous behaviours can be measured effectively and daily, and can therefore be altered over time